Hudson Heights Weather

Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Impact" Officers' Presence Felt

The 34th Precinct is hosting 60 additional officers for the next few months.  Apparently they are "impact officers" that the NYPD moves to precincts where crime has recently flared.  The good news is they're here.  The bad news is that they'll move on shortly.

Anyone walking around Hudson Heights has probably noticed them, walking in pairs.  I've seen them on the subway platform, on Pinehurst Avenue, on Cabrini Boulevard and, most of all, on Bennett Avenue.   I stopped to speak to two officers on Cabrini at 9:30 p.m. on Friday.  I expressed my gratitude to them and the other 58 new officers in the precinct (not that I feel particularly unsafe in the area).

One officer said thanks.  The other remarked, "its still not enough."  I asked why, and he recounted a stabbing on Dyckman and Broadway that evening.  This apparently resulted from a fight among teenagers--not a random attack.

Still its good to have them.  And hopefully we can keep a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment